Dave's & Leslie's Belize 2010

Dave's & Leslie's Belize 2010

September 4-6


Lonely Planet

Leslie and I knew each other from a 38 minute flight from Austin to Dallas, but have similar outlooks on many things in life and a passion for travel.
I proposed a trip, and within a day this was booked. Carpe diem.

Since schools were back in session and it was hurricane season, after this weekend many shops were closing up until November. So our timing was still good, and we got birght, sunshiny days our whole stay.

Saturday the 4th

Sat 4SEP Delta 684 LV Austin, TX (AUS) 530A Coach AR Atlanta, GA (ATL) 856A
Sat 4SEP Delta 665 LV Atlanta, GA (ATL) 950A Coach AR Belize City, Beli (BZE) 1109A

You can see Belize City on the peninsula in the distance.
The airport is about a 15min outside the city.

Tropic Air #60 BIA 12:40pm to Caye Caulker 12:47
Our flight into Belize arrived early at about 10:50 and we went right through customs, so best case scenario happened and we were able to catch the 11:40 flight to Caye Caulker.

We got a free golf cart transfer from the airport to hotel, about a 5 minute ride.

Here you see "main street."

Island Magic
#4 of 22 B&Bs
$141.70 per night w taxes

The AC and water worked well, room spotless, employees were friendly, and we even had a full kitchen.

Our dock out front.

And our first drink- rum punches!

The national beer- Belikin

A Belizian around the pool area with her mom that Leslie liked.

We ended up at The Sports Bar

There were several dogs here, including this one under our table getting a double foot massage.

We each had a free rum punch and also got pina coladas. And my lobster fettucini alfredo was fantastic.

After some more pool time Leslie stayed to play with the kids hanging out there, while I went out to find my seahorses.
I initially cut through to the west side of the island and was checking out a mangrove patch when a guy yelled to me that there was a crocodile that lived in the area I was snorkeling, hhmmph. I would later find out it was only about a three footer, unlikely to attack a person I would figure. The big ones can be pretty dangewrous though.
After getting out I went to ask his advice, and of course he tried to sell me a boat tour- turns out it was the owner of French Angel, the company I would be using the next day. Small island, and I would bump into him several more times just on the street.

After searching for about an hour- bingo! This guy was in a small patch of mangroves maybe 15 feet offshore. He was very shy and kept moving. I figured it must have a mate somewhere around, and eventually it did swim across some open water over to the mangroves by shore, and sure enough he swam right by seahorse #2 where I couldn't miss it.


And as I made my way south along the mangroves I spotted #3.

The yellow building is where we would eat tonight.

Sandro Take Away (Italian) for dinner

One of the three restaurants I had targeted from TripAdvisor, it was owned by a couple from Modeno. We got a bottle of white wine from a store down the street and sat at a picnic table right on the beach. There was one other customer having the carbonara inside which looked good, but since I just had a cream sauce for lunch I opted for my travel stand-by of spaghetti bolagnaise. It was just OK, the noodles a little tough, but I still enjoyed the expereince overall. Leslie enjoyed her seafood pasta dish, with an unexpected two little lobster tails included.

Late in the day it got extremely windy on the east side of the island, and that would continue for the remainder of our stay. It kept the bugs away and it never felt that muggy.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones